The scholarly bequests of Prof. Dr. Georg Kossack
Prof. Dr. Georg Kossack (1923-2004) was one of the leading scholars in German prehistoric archaeology in the last five decades. Like no other archaeologist he had a formative influence on the archaeological discourse in Germany, especially on the research of the Bronze- and Hallstatt Age in Middle- and Southeast Europe.
His scholarly bequest contains an extensive academic library (about 20.000 books and offprints) and an archaeological archive (correspondence, files and archaeological drawings – about 50.000 pages), that reflects 60 years of research. This archive shows his wide ranging archaeological perspectives, both geographically and thematically.
Thanks to the generous support by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), the scholarly remains of Prof. Kossack can be presented as part of the Arachne online-database and are open for further research. This joint project is carried out by the Landesamt für Denkmalpflege und Archäologie Sachsen-Anhalt (Halle/Saale), Deutschen Archäologischen Institut (DAI), Römisch-Germanischen Kommission des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts (Frankfurt/Main) and the Archaeological Institutes at the Universities of Munich and Halle (Saale).
The Kossack bequest can also be accessed at the Kalliope-Database. One of the achievements of this project was the successful integration of data from the Kalliope-Database into Arachne.
Due to the personal character of most of the correspondence, we cannot provide all images of the Kossack bequest online for legal reasons. For a more detailed access, please apply to the director of the Römisch-Germanische Kommission in Frankfurt: email@example.com
- Correspondence 1946-1961 (Study, Assistant Professor Munich, Professorial chair Kiel)
- Correspondence 1959-1977 (Professorial chair Kiel, Professorial chair Munich)
- Correspondence 1976-1988 (Professorial chair Munich)
- Correspondence 1989-2004 (Emeritus)
- Files: Project files, Reports, Administrative procedures, Personal documents (Project applications, Reports, Appointment procedures)
- Files: Archaeological notes, Publication intentions (Project files, Research notes, History of research, Draft versions)
- Archaeological collection of material Research notes for the habilitation (G. Kossack, Südbayern während der Hallstattzeit. Römisch-Germanische Forschungen 24 (Berlin 1959))
- Archaeological collection of material Drawings during various visits to museum magazines and study trips
- Archaeological collection of material Third party drawings (not Kossack’s)
- Archaeological collection of material Regional
- Archaeological collection of material Chronological
- Correspondence Kossack – Römisch-Germanische Kommission/Frankfurt